8 top time wasters killing your productivity
This is a generation that works with speed. Daily, we want quick fixes for everything. Time is of paramount importance. This is why we expect everything from food, laundry, payment, medical, education, marriage, and if possible, birth, to be at the speed of light.
Sometimes, we wish God will add another hour to the twenty-four in a day, so we could achieve more. But unfortunately, we have to do everything within that 24 hours and 7 days a week. So how do we do more in fewer hours? The solution is to cut those things that waste our time. What is the time-waster you must eliminate?
What is time wastage?
This is simply not getting value for your time. It is doing things that are not relevant or important at a particular time. Put it in another way, and it means spending time on the thing that has no benefits.
Let me take you through my top time wasters and see which one affects you the most.
1. Lack of organizations. The best way to waste valuable time is not to get organized. One of the things that waste your time is not getting the thing in a proper perspective. To save your time, prepare your day the night before going to bed. That is, have your to-do list for the next day. This will guard you against drifting from one assignment to another.
Part of your being organized is to arrange things in the office, school, and home. In your office, have a file for each item and keep them in the file cabinet or drawer. Ensure you label each file and racks appropriately. This will save you the stress and time looking for any item when you need them.
This same principle applies at home. In your house, have a specific place where you keep your things. Make it your habit to return them to where you picked them the last time you use the item. It will become easier to locate them when next you needed it. Once this becomes your principle, all other family members will key into this
2. Social media. In my opinion, there a few things that waste time more than social media. Be it Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or LinkedIn, they are all the same. Apart from other negative effects, these platforms will make you less productive. Usually, it begins with checking a few breaking news, celebrity gossip, the latest design in fashion, and the football update in the league. Before long you begin to flip from one page to another. By the time you check your clock, a considerable time has been wasted.
As good as your email maybe, you will be wasting considerable time if you do not schedule the time you check the mail. The best way to check this is to turn off the mail alert. This will force you to check the mail at the pre-scheduled time.
3. Gadgets. One of my top time wasters are gadgets. Gadgets are made for man and not the other way round. However, experience has proved gadgets are a major time-waster for most people especially young ones. Some of these include television, home video, and video games. Though some of them are a good means of relaxation and education. Nonetheless, indiscriminate use of these gadgets will erode your valuable time. It makes you unproductive and can cost you your job and health.
Well, everybody uses one cell phone or two. Except for your conversations, information, and education on the phone that add value to you, it is a time-waster.
Highly productive people use their phones wisely. Today phones come with several features that make us glued to it. Such features include calling and receiving calls. This could be either video or voice calls and text messages. Each of these features takes part of your time. Cultivating discipline of using this gadget will make you, the user of the gadget than the gadget using you.
4. Wrong company. How you spent your time will be judged by the people you associate with. Let me remind you.
This time, if you keep company with people who will not add value to your life, then they are a time-waster Whether you are with them on the phone, mail, social media, books, or physically, it is a waste of time if you can’t point to something tangible you gained from them.
5. Failure to set priority. Doing the wrong thing at the wrong time means doing the wrong thing. So if you fail to set your priority, you will end wasting your time. Setting a priority implies allowing time for each activity of the day. This will become what will drive your attention, time, and activities.
6. Procrastination and indecision. Procrastination is the thief of time. You will be losing a great deal of time if you are undecided. Life will bypass you if you push what you are supposed to do today till tomorrow. Don’t forget each day has its load of work.
So, deferring today’s activity due to indecision will cause you to be overwhelmed by the activities of the next day’s work. So to save your time, act now, and kill procrastination. There is no better time to do what needs to be done but now.
7. Failure to say no. You can’t be everything to everybody. Also, you can’t be at two different places at the same time. Wanting to please everyone and doing everything will Sap your energy and make you less productive. Therefore, learn to say no to something. Our concerns most times is the fear of missing some perceived opportunities. But sometimes what we consider an opportunity may be a diversion. Thus, a failure to excuse yourself from some engagement may take the time you could use for a productive venture. Therefore, learn to say no sometimes though it may be hard.
8. Complaining. The complainant gets attention only for a short time. It is true you will not like certain things or situations. This may be among friends, in the workplace, or at home. Whining without doing anything about it is just a waste of your precious time.
If this happens in the company or a factory, you would have wasted a great chunk of the production time. With time, people begin to think less about you and labeled you a complainant.
It is so amazing how time flies. Identifying the time-wasters to avoid will depend on your discovery. What I have shared with you is an eye-opener. It allows you to check every aspect of your life to identify what will help you make the best of your time.
Apart from my list of 8 top time wasters, what other time waster have you identified? Share your thought below. If you benefited from this post, don’t forget to share it with your friends. Also, like my Facebook page.