One of the sins that devastate people physically, financially, emotionally, and spiritually quickly is the sin of lust. I know it is a spiritual battle that has overtime in history and contemporary life defeated the best of men. What if I tell you overcoming lust as a Christian is possible no matter how long you have been battling with it.
Because I have been there before, I can give you the antidotes that helped me. So I will be giving you six tips on overcoming lust as a Christian.
What is lust?
Lust is an uncontrollable inordinate affection towards a person, an idea, or an object. But for sexual lust, it is an excessive affection towards the opposite sex for sexual gratification. Lusting most times is selfish. Lust is always seeking for self-gratification. Proverb 6:32.
For most young people, what they have towards the opposite sex is lust and not love. Lust in whatever form is a sin as listed among the Ten Commandments given to the people of God in the wilderness. Exodus 20:14-17. Another name for it is covetousness.
How to overcome the sin of lust.
One major skill in firefighting is to focus and aim at the base of the fire and remove or disable the source. So, one major antidote to overcoming lust as a Christian is “watchfulness.” If you watch and know what triggers your perversion, it will be easier to deal with the sin.
Without wasting your time, let me take you through the list right away.
1. Watch what you watch. Matthew 5:28. If I ask you to describe your elementary school compound to me now, you are surely not going to have a problem with that because the diagram sticks to your brain. You may not be able to prevent the erection of a provocative billboard in public places, but you could choose whether you want to look at it or not.
You may not observe this, but TV, cables, magazines are some of the channels of lust. May I say here that the problem of lust is the seeing aspect, but not the looking? So conquering lust as a believer begins with the carefulness of what you watch.
Each day you go to school, work, market, or church you will always meet several people on your way. But if I ask you how many people, you saw today on your way? You will not be able to mention the number, but some striking events like a burning house, an accident, and a criminal caught will readily come to your mind because you took the time to watch.
So watching pornographic items in any form or guise will surely lead you to this sin of sexual depravity. Such a medium includes TV, cables magazine, and billboard. Also, some personal items like clothes, bedspread, wallpaper screensavers for our phones, etc. that are decorated with illicit pictures can be other forms of temptation.
Also, read this: 10 guaranteed ways to maintain contact without contamination as a youth.
2. Watch what you hear. You will help yourself in overcoming the sin of lust as a Christian if you are mindful of what you hear. Whether through discussions or musical lyrics, what you hear affects your actions. The evil report brought by the other spies that went to spy the land of Canaan spell doom for the children of Israel. Also, when Peter told the disciples he going fishing, the rest disciples fell for it. Words have a way of influencing our thought and decision. So keep away from sexually induced musicals and discussions.
3. Watch your company. 2 Samuel 13:1-29. Bird of a feather flock together, they say. Remember, you cannot sleep on the lap of Delilah and hope to wake up on the bosom of Abraham. Immediately I gave my life to Christ, I changed most of my friends. I was also cautious about my female friends. I equally resigned from the social clubs I belonged to as the general secretary. Those steps helped me a great deal.
Amon had a glorious destiny, but a bad company truncated that future. The effect of that one counsel from Jonadab to Amon also affected Tamar’s marital life and destiny. It also kills Amon, made both Absalom and his mercenary murderers. Keeping your distance from people who talk, encourage, practice, or induce you with sexual perversion is a sure way to getting away from the trap of lust.
Evil communication corrupts good manner they say. Rehoboam would have kept David’s dynasty intact if not for the ungodly counsel of his companions. Therefore, select your friends wisely if you want to escape the sin of lust.
Also read this: 5 Godly marriage principles every youth should know.
4. Watch your thought. Every action is preceded by a thought. The combination of what you see and what you hear is what you will process in your mind. The mind is so secretive that you can have an unholy thought right before the altar, during prayers, worship, or church service. So, if your thinking is uncontrollably perverted, you will soon fall into the web of lust.
5. Watch what you keep. If fill your room with sinful materials, it is only a matter of time before you find yourself in the Devil’s pit. Quickly remove the sexually decorated bedspread, pillowcase, towel, pictures, magazines, and CDs to stay safe. Now, replace them with spiritually inspired items that are available in various shapes, sizes, and colors. And you can be sure they will equally inspire you.
6. Watch where you go. There was a story about a Christian lady who followed her unbelieving friend to a club. After the lady had rejected various boys who had invited her to dance with them. One of them then asks her for her rejection and she replied it is because she is a Christian. To this, the young man asks her what she is doing in a club if she is truly a Christian.
This implies there are certain places you must not meet a Christian. Being in the wrong place and at the wrong time landed David in serious trouble of adultery and murder. 2 Samuel 11. To guide against falling into sin, ensure you are selective in the party you attend. Avoid attending cinemas and shows that are ungodly.
Like any therapy, watchfulness is still the best key to overcoming lust as a Christian. However, it takes a deliberate, determined, and consistent action to remain on top of the situation. Job 31:1
Also, read this: 13 Wrong reasons for getting married.
Have you had a battle fighting sexual lust before? Share your experience with others. And if this post has added any value to you, read other posts like this and do not hesitate to share it on your preferred social platform.
I am always encouraged when you connect with me on any of my social handles. The journey of life becomes easier if we walk together.