The record of worshiping God did not start until after the fall of Adam and Eve. Then you’ll understand how pure that worship or religion will be. But organized religion …
The record of worshiping God did not start until after the fall of Adam and Eve. Then you’ll understand how pure that worship or religion will be. But organized religion did not begin until the nation of Israel got the commanded on Mount Sinai. One common feature of that law was how religion matters in marriage. Though any relationship or union could be likened to a marriage, I am talking about the marital relationship between a man and a woman.
Though, Christianity is not a religion, but a way of life. But I will deliberately use the word religion in this post to address the error of most people about Christianity as one of the world’s religions. This view is prominent among the youths who think they can marry anybody with a religious background because the person claimed he or she loved them.
To these young Christians, all religions are the same. They believed we all worship the same God. According to such people, Christian and Muslims worship the same God, but with a different name. The female Christians are worse culprits on this matter.
With that said, they didn’t see why religion matters in marriage. That accounts for Christian ladies marrying Muslims and gentiles. Let me clarify, there are two sets of people in the world, the Christians and others. It is either you a Christian or you’re not. Christians are those who have given their lives to Jesus and accepted him as the Lord of their life. So, those Christians who keep the marital relationship with a non-Christian has either of these problems, it is either they are never a Christian or they do not understand the concept of Christianity.
One attribute of a Christian is obedience. A Christian obeys whether it is convenient. They will obey even when it doesn’t tally with common sense. These are sets of people who follow God’s commandments, even when it is against public ad popular opinion. As a Christian, you subject your decisions about every part of your life to the law of God, and marriage is inclusive. To them, religion matters in marriage. The Bible is explicit about why religion matter in a marriage. Let us look at God’s commandment.
Also, read this: 5 Dream killers you must stop before they stop you
1. It determines your eternity: Every man stands condemned or justified on the last day base on the acceptance or rejection of Jesus as both the Son of God and the savior of mankind. Every religion in a way has a myth about the creation story, why they fail, and the way of redemption. But only Christianity accepted Jesus as the only savior of the fallen man. Jesus is not one of the ways to God, but the only way. That is why you shouldn’t marry an unbeliever because if your spouse rejects this truth and you also fall for it you lose your eternity.
So, denying Jesus divine and his nature negates the truth that saves. All religions call Jesus several names and personalities like a good man, a teacher, a prophet, a leader, etc. But, Christianity accepts Jesus as the only Son of God and the only accepted messiah.
2. It affects your Peace: Jesus said the peace I give unto you… John 14:27, but if your spouse didn’t believe in Jesus, how will you have that kind of peace? This is why religion matters in marriage. Peace can only reign in your family if both of you acceptably allow the worship of God through Jesus Christ. Those who marry a Muslim or an unbeliever by occasion or commission know now why religion matters in marriage. Initially, while they are dating the unbelievers promised that they can worship their God because it is only the name that differs.
3. It hinders your prayers: The only prayers that’ll get God’s approved answer are those prayed in Jesus’ Name. But you said God answer the prayers of the Muslims also, Yes, God created and love all mankind that’s why he rained over the good, the bad and the ugly. But when it comes to the blessing of God that adds no sorrow, it must be prayed in Jesus’ name. In Mathew 18:19 Jesus said if we agree in prayer in his name…. Now your spouse didn’t believe in Jesus, how then can you pray the prayer of agreement?
4. Your worship can’t please God: Christians are guided by Bible principles. This is one of the reasons why you shouldn’t marry an unbeliever. For instance, in Islam, you must face a particular direction (east) before praying. There are a specific number of times you must pray following a routine. And failure to play by these rules means your worship is not accepted. This is also the importance of religion in marriage. However, Jesus corrected this while speaking with the Samaritan woman John 4. If you marry an unbeliever or a Muslim you can’t have acceptable worship.
5. Your morality is questionable: Christianity affects the way you relate with people, your view of life, business, etc. For instance, it is rewarding to kill and be killed in the way of Allah. But the Christian religion teaches otherwise. As a Christian, there are some places, businesses, and people you must steer clear of. However, in other religions, these are permitted. This also is a reason you should not marry a Muslim.
You know one of your duties in marriage is to correct and influence each other. But if the religion of your spouse allows him or her to engage in a certain business or a relationship that is at variants with yours you’ll have to compromise your morality. It is then you’ll know marrying an unbeliever is a big issue.
Also, read this: Top Christian blogs for teens and youths to follow.
6. You’ll have to contend with polygamy: One of the reasons religion matters in marriage is some religions permit polygamy which Christianity frowns at. As a Muslim man, his family, relatives, or friends can influence him to take the second wife. This may be because the family didn’t like the wife or due to child delay. If the woman is from a Christian religion she has to accept the second woman or divorce the man.
The unfortunate thing is the man can send this Christian woman out because of the second wife. At other times the man can deny the Christian wife her financial, social, religion, and sexual right. It is then she will know religion matters in marriage.
7. It affects how you prepare for eternity: Most world religion teaches morality as the qualification for entering eternity. In Christianity salvation by faith in the atoning blood of Jesus. Islam, for instance, teaches your good work will be compared to your bad work to determine where you’ll spend eternity.
Apart from that, your family sacrifices after your death will influence your place in eternity. All these are at variance with the scriptures. So, if you believed in the former, you would rely on personal efforts to change your lifestyle but to no avail. In the end after several failed attempts, you may conclude no one could be Holy after all. This leads you to conclude eternity is not as difficult as the Bible puts it. This is because your partner in a marriage has influenced you. Now you can see why I said religion matters in marriage.
Let me close with this story. I met a woman when I newly gave my life to Christ. Later, I became her Sunday school class secretary. This woman was passionate about God, but she was married to an unbeliever. No matter how this uses her Christian virtues to win the husband; the man was a hard nut. He made the woman’s life bitter.
Ask that woman if religion matters in marriage, she will tell you better. Twenty-five years later when I met her at our convention for the first time when her husband died, she couldn’t believe what she has been missing for not attending the annual convention. My beloved Christian youth religion matters in marriage both now and in eternity. The earlier you realize this, the better for you.